WHERE: Imperia, Italy
Minimum required: 30 days
Number of interns per month: 2/3
Sei un giovane studente o neolaureato ? Vuoi venire a bordo con noi ricercatori? Con noi è possibile fare uno stage di minimo 30 giorni, un programma di formazione in cui si partecipa attivamente alla raccolta di numerosi e diversi dati in mare durante le uscite, ma anche ad una prima fase di elaborazione dati, tecnica di foto-identificazione, matching pinne dorsali dei tursiopi, inserimento dati nel database, utilizzo di software.
Verranno inoltre fatte lezioni specifiche in ambito dei cetacei, e le principali tecniche di studio che vengono utilizzate in questo campo. Siamo convenzionati con diverse Università italiane e lo stage è disponibile per l’acquisto di crediti universitari.
Contattaci a email@example.com per saperne di più
Do you want to gain a first-hand experience in collecting data on free- ranging cetaceans and improve skills on cetaceans boatbased surveys and in the use of the photo-ID technique?
Programme: Interns are invited to assist the biologists of Costa Balenae in different activities of the research project on bottlenose dolphins:
- Boat-based surveys (10-12 per month)
- Collect data on species, group size, interaction with boats..
- Take pictures to photo-identification
- Photo-id matching/classwork
- Data entry
- Opportunistic surveys
- Land base surveys: collection of environmental data, marine traffic, and dolphin presence from two different strategic points in Imperia
- Whale Watching tour (only summer)
This is a great opportunity to get involved in cetacean research, enjoy marine biodiversity while gaining fieldwork experience, travelling and exploring the beautiful Liguria region while supporting cetacean research and conservation.
Fieldwork will be made in coastal waters (Western Ligurian Sea). Surveys will be conducted onboard dedicated vessels (5-6 m inflatable boat) 10-12 times per month. Training will focus on collecting photo for photo-ID purposes, environmental, geographical (GPS) and dolphins’ behavioural data. Surveys are weather dependent and they can change during the period. Interns will be involved 5 days a week, 6-8 hours/day (depending on fieldwork or labwork)
During free time, interns will have the opportunity to experience all sorts of activities: swimming, diving, hiking, exploring historical sites, visit museums, sailing.
Contact us to have more information: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Minimum age of 18
- Prior experience in cetaceans or boat-based surveys is not required, but preferred
- Degree or on-going studies in biology, natural science, veterinary or similar (preferred)
- Strong motivation and interest in cetaceans and research
- Speak, read and write in fluent English
- Be adaptable as fieldwork is weather dependent
- Be prepared to spend many hours on a small zodiac (5-6 m) and under the sun
- Be sociable and willing as they are expected to live and work in an international team
- Boat driving licence or experience in handling small boats (preferred)
Delfini del Ponente is a self-funded research project, so participation in this programme requires a tuition fee. Fee includes the accommodation in an apartment in Imperia, tuition and all associated field costs during the internship period (use of research vessel, training, use of equipment, field trips). Transportation expenses to and from Imperia (Italy), own insurances, and food costs during the stay are not included in the fee.